This site outlines the schedule for all sessions and provides complete descriptions. A final program and program summary listing all room locations will be distributed at the symposium.
Active participation in the Society of Actuaries is an important aspect of membership. However, any SOA activity that arguably could be perceived as a restraint of trade exposes the SOA and its members to antitrust risk. Accordingly, meeting participants should refrain from any discussion which may provide the basis for an inference that they agreed to take any action relating to prices, services, production, allocation of markets or any other matter having a market effect. These discussions should be avoided both at official SOA meetings and informal gatherings and activities. In addition, meeting participants should be sensitive to other matters that may raise particular antitrust concern: membership restrictions, codes of ethics or other forms of self-regulation, product standardization or certification. The following are guidelines that should be followed at all SOA meetings, informal gatherings and activities:
- DON’T discuss your own, your firm’s or others’ prices or fees for service, or anything that might affect prices or fees, such as costs, discounts, terms of sale or profit margins.
- DON’T stay at a meeting where any such price talk occurs.
- DON’T make public announcements or statements about your own or your firm’s prices or fees, or those of competitors, at any SOA meeting or activity.
- DON’T talk about what other entities or their members or employees plan to do in particular geographic or product markets or with particular customers.
- DON’T speak or act on behalf of the SOA or any of its committees unless specifically authorized to do so.
- DO alert SOA staff or legal counsel about any concerns regarding proposed statements to be made by the association on behalf of a committee or section.
- DO consult with your own legal counsel or the SOA before raising any matter or making any statement that you think may involve competitively sensitive information.
- DO be alert to improper activities, and don’t participate if you think something is improper.
If you have specific questions, seek guidance from your own legal counsel or from the SOA’s executive director or legal counsel.
SOA Presentation Disclaimer
Presentations are intended for educational purposes only and do not replace independent professional judgment. Statements of fact and opinions expressed are those of the participants individually and, unless expressly stated to the contrary, are not the opinion or position of the Society of Actuaries, its co-sponsors or its committees. The Society of Actuaries does not endorse or approve, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, accuracy or completeness of the information presented. Attendees should note that sessions are audio-recorded and may be published in various media, including print, audio and video formats without further notice.
Business casual attire is appropriate for meeting sessions and all SOA-sponsored events.
The SOA is making select 2016 Valuation Actuary Symposium session recordings available. The MP4 audio recordings synchronized with the presenter slides will be offered complimentary to SOA members and to nonmembers for a nominal charge. The MP4 downloads provide excellent training, are eligible for fulfillment of your CPD requirement and allow you to view sessions you may have missed. View the sessions online anytime or download the MP4 files to your mobile device for portable listening. The SOA will notify all meeting registrants when the recordings are available.
The SOA will provide a small bank of computers at The Diplomat Resort & Spa to allow you to access your email during the meeting. We ask that you limit your time to 20 minutes. The SOA Lounge hours and location will be posted at the hotel and listed in the final program.