Event Home | Additional Information | Important Dates | Agenda | Attendees | Committee | Competency Framework | CPD | Hotel | Moderator/Presenter Information | Presentations | Registration | Sponsors | Sponsor This Event | Travel | Virtual Session Information
Thank you for agreeing to participate in the 2017 SOA Valuation Actuary Symposium. Below is a compilation of the information and dates you need to know in order to prepare for the meeting. This information as well as the action items below (bio submission, acknowledgement & release and presentation submission) can be easily accessed through our new Presenter Portal. You will just need to sign in using your SOA log in credentials. Note – if you have not been added into the tool, you will not have access.
Bio Submission - All moderators & presenters are requested to submit a short bio (no more than 250 words) and photo to be included in the meeting app. They should be print-quality photographs (300 dpi) featuring a person’s head and shoulders, ideally taken within the last year. Photos are to be no smaller than 110 x 134 pixels.
Note - If you presented at one of the meetings in 2016 (Life & Annuity Symposium, Health Meeting, Valuation Actuary Symposium or Annual Meeting), and you submitted a bio & photo for that meeting we will use what we have in our database. If you are not sure whether or not you submitted a bio & photo, please contact Amy Wojcik.
Presentation Information & Guidelines
- The Society of Actuaries is continuing to make efforts toward a more paperless meeting approach. As a result, we try to post as many presentations as possible on our web site and also in the mobile app in advance of the meeting. The use of presentation slides, advance discussion notes and visual aids contributes to the effectiveness, clarity and educational value of your presentation and is expected by attendees. The attendees may want to download or print out the presentation to bring to the meeting, or there may be materials you want to have available prior to the meeting.
- The Society of Actuaries has antitrust guidelines that you must follow when preparing any meeting materials. Read the Antitrust Guidelines carefully. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your responsibility and liability, please contact our office.
- The moderator of each session is encouraged to arrange a conference call with all session presenters prior to the meeting
- A laptop will be available for each session; please bring your presentation(s) on a USB flash drive.
- All presentations (including materials that were received late along with those that have been amended) will be posted for general viewing on the SOA website after the meeting.
There are many resources available on the SOA Web site to assist you in planning your presentation. Please visit the Professional Development Volunteer Resource Center for available tools. Make sure to review the copyright tips for presenting at SOA programs which is available as a resource.
There is an optional powerpoint template available for you to use for the 2017 Valuation Actuary Symposium, however you may also use your company's own template for your presentation.
Presentation Submission - Deadline July 31
If you do NOT intend to have a presentation for your session, please notify Ryan Smith at the SOA. All presentations must be submitted as original PowerPoint files. They will be converted to PDF files prior to being posted on the SOA website and also converted to an appropriate format for inclusion in the meeting app.
Acknowledgement and Release – confirm ASAP
The SOA records all Panel Discussions, Lectures, Open Forums, Interactive Forums and Teaching Sessions. If you do NOT wish to have your session recorded, please notify Ryan Smith. All presenters must agree to the SOA's Acknowledgement and Release.
All presenters are required to register for the meeting. Discounted registration rates are available.
Hotel Information – Deadline August 8
All presenters are responsible for their own hotel arrangements, unless specifically advised otherwise.
At Meeting Time
Upon arrival at the hotel, please pick up your name badge and other meeting materials at the Society of Actuaries' Registration Desk. The registration desk will be open as follows:
|Sunday||August 27||4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.|
|Monday||August 28||7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday||August 29||7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.|
The exact room location of your session will be listed in the final program summary that will be provided when you pick up your registration packet.
Please contact Ryan Smith .