The seminar instructors have provided the following suggested preparation resources and reading list for participants planning to attend the SOA’s Health Predictive Analytics Seminar:
- Before the seminar, become familiar with R.
- Also refresh your memory of basic statistics using any text of your choice. Here is a free basic stats text: https://www.openintro.org/stat/textbook.php.
- Introductory text on health data and some applications:
Risk Adjustment and Predictive Modeling (2nd Ed.) (Duncan) Actex Publications www.actexmadriver.com
- There are several good texts on survival modeling. Here is one suggestion: Modeling Survival Data in Medical Research (Collett; 2nd ed.) Chapman & Hall/CRC
- Introductory Time series in R: https://a-little-book-of-r-for-time-series.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
- Popular machine learning free text in R with little algebra: http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~gareth/ISL/
- Other: https://www.slideshare.net/RevolutionAnalytics/actuarial-analytics-in-r
Very useful sources including instructions for downloading R and using packages:
R in Action (Kabacoff). Published by Manning.
R Cookbook (Teetor). Published by O’Reilly www.oreilly.com
Jed Frees’s book on predictive modeling applications:
Additional resources and materials will be provided to seminar registrants.