Health and Leadership & Development Sections
Actuaries play critical roles in many companies and handle very complicated concepts. To be effective, actuaries need the skills to influence other people to take specific actions based on their work. This goes far beyond being able to communicate simply and clearly, since ultimately the “meaning of your communication is measured by the actions taken by people as a result”.
The presenter will provide participants with the tools needed to be highly influential in all settings. The goal is that actuaries’ important work is not only understood, but acted upon. This program is unique in that it brings 10 years of research from the Behavioral Research Applied Technology Laboratory to actuaries for the first time. Traditional actuarial training provides little support for actuaries in becoming master influencers.
Attendees will be able to strongly influence the actions and thinking of any audiences they address.
2017 Influence Training for Actuaries Seminar – Attendee Testimonials
- “I put into practice what I learned for an important presentation at an offsite managers’ meeting. I burst right out with a great short and relevant story, gave three clear objectives, had folks briefly interact with each other a few times to keep everyone moving, delivered on the objectives, and practiced beforehand – it went so well. Without question, the reason it went well was solely due to what I learned at Andrew’s Influencing for Actuaries seminar.” -Bill Leslie, FSA
- “The presenter delivered new information in concise chunks, progressively building out new skillsets throughout the day. This session gave some great examples of ways to drive change and influence people through focusing on what motivates them, what holds them back, and why it does, by using a data driven approach.” -Jason Christiansen, ASA.
- “I recommend this seminar for any actuary or technical professional who wants to understand the behavior of his or her colleagues more, work on skills like better connecting with others in a group or meeting setting, and challenge the convention norm of doing business as usual.” -Mitch Stephenson, FSA
- Give you the tools to become highly influential, to ensure that your important work is not only understood but acted upon.
- Learn how to apply influence science in the way products are designed, present ideas and conclusions to people or “sell” clients on a new idea or piece of advice.
- Learn the formula for creating new actions and habits in human beings and the important role of the four contexts.
- Leave with new skills to present more effectively, tell stories that move people to action and design the environment in which you present your work.
- Any actuary interested in being more influential in the boardroom, conversations with colleagues or during formal presentations.
- Actuaries interested in the ideas and methods of behavior linked insurance products.
- Anyone presenting at the 2018 SOA Annual Meeting & Exhibit, as well as at other programs.
Level of Difficulty
The seminar is designed for participants with moderate experience. The concepts are easily understood but are explored in depth and the course is fast-paced, content rich and challenging. Expect to do work on improving your own influence skills during the seminar, which you’ll be able to apply immediately.