Education & Exams Updates
Visit the FAQ Education Page for answers to the most frequently asked COVID-19 related questions.
- Prometric Scheduling for Canadian Candidates
Read an update about test center seats in Canada for the Oct/Nov fellowship exams.
- Notice Regarding Exam Center Locations for Spring/July 2020 Exams
The current list of exam center locations for the Spring/July 2020 examinations is available. The list shows the exam centers we have confirmed worldwide. At this time, there are a small number of exam centers that are not confirmed.
- If your center is on the list, please continue to check back to your exam home page for updates. Given our experience with this session, there is also the possibility that locations currently on the list may later become unavailable due to changes in state and/or local restrictions, or proctor availability. If time allows before the exam, we will do our best to notify you of any last-minute changes, but we urge you to continue to check for list updates.
- If your center is not on the list, please continue to check back to your exam home page for updates. We are continuing to work to secure these centers.
You continue to have the option to withdraw from your exam if you feel uncomfortable participating due to the COVID-19 virus. You have up until 48 hours before your exam time to request a voucher or a refund by contacting SOA Customer Service. Refund requests received less than 48 hours prior to your scheduled exam appointment will not be accepted.
- All SOA Exams Moving to Computer-Based Delivery: Additional Details
The SOA has announced that it is moving to a computer-based testing (CBT) approach for all examinations beginning with the Fall 2020 written-answer exam administration. Candidates will take their exams at a Prometric testing facility. The use of Prometric test centers – the same test center provider used for our computer-based associateship examinations – supports the SOA’s goal of the administration of reliable and valid examinations to everyone across the globe. Read Additional Details.
- What to Expect on Exam Day – SOA Updates for Candidates
The SOA Exams department has put together a document with information for candidates taking SOA exams and details of what candidates should expect on exam day.
- Notice: Change to Release Date for Fall 2020 Exam Syllabi
The release date for the Fall exam syllabi is postponed. We currently anticipate the syllabi for the Fall written-answer exams, as well as LTAM, will be published on June 1 or shortly thereafter.
- Remote Learning Solutions for APC and FAC
The SOA will be offering the Associateship Professionalism Course (APC) and the Fellowship Admissions Course (FAC) by remote learning so that candidates may continue their progress toward their designations in the coming months. Each remote course will include two components – an online e-Learning component and a virtual meeting session component. While the APC remote solution is likely a permanent change, the virtual meeting sessions for FAC will be offered only while restrictions on travel and social distancing remain in place. See full announcement to candidates.
APC Remote Solution
- APC Component #1 – Online e-Learning module(s) that candidates complete individually.
- Module(s) will include materials from APC full-group presentations and some ethics case studies
- APC Component #2 – Virtual Case Discussions – Groups of eight candidates and one facilitator meet via a designated virtual meeting platform (half-day in length)
- Sessions will include discussion of the remaining ethics case studies
FAC Remote Solution
- FAC Component #1 – Online e-Learning module(s) that candidates complete individually.
- Module(s) will include content from FAC general sessions
- FAC Component #2 – One-day Virtual Meeting – (temporary offering) Groups of eight candidates and one facilitator meet via a designated virtual meeting platform.
- Sessions will include discussions of ethics case studies and individual candidate presentations
- Diplomas will be mailed to candidates after the completion of both components.
- June 29, 2020 – Both FAC remote components will be available for those candidates who are eligible to attend. Candidates will receive invitations to register for the remote components when they become eligible. Candidates already invited to the July FAC will receive new instructions regarding the remote components. The in-person FACs currently scheduled for 2020 will not be held.
- August 3, 2020 – Both APC remote components will be available for eligible candidates. All in-person APCs for 2020 have been cancelled. Currently registered candidates will be sent invites for a new remote APC. After currently registered candidates are assigned, invitations will be sent to other eligible candidates.
- SOA May 2020 Exams GIINT, SRM, P and a Special Administration of Exam FM to be Held as Scheduled in US and Canada
The SOA May 2020 Exams GIINT, SRM, P and a Special Administration of Exam FM will be held as scheduled at Prometric testing centers that are administering exams for essential services programs. The SOA exams have been classified by Prometric as an essential services program as defined by the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.
Prometric is currently implementing physical distancing parameters, which has caused some appointments for the May 2020 session to be cancelled.
- Candidates that have their appointments cancelled should receive an email notification from Prometric. In addition, candidates can confirm their appointment status by going to www.prometric.com/soa and choosing the Confirm option. As changes occur daily, it is possible an appointment could be cancelled at a later date, even if confirmed as scheduled.
- Candidates who have had their appointments cancelled can go back to the Prometric website https://www.prometric.com/soa and try to reschedule a new appointment for their exam using the same candidate/eligibility number from their original registration. Candidates may need to travel up to 150 miles in order to find an appointment due to the newly enacted social distancing policy.
- Candidates that cannot find an appointment can contact email@example.com for assistance with these available options: credit vouchers for the next examadministration of the same exam in 2020; transferring registrations to the next exam administration of the same exam if registration is open in 2020; or refunding the exam fees in full. Note: Requests for refunds will only be accepted for CBT exam registrations only up to 48 hours prior to your exam appointment. Refund requests received less than 48 hours prior to your scheduled exam appointment will not be accepted.
- Reopening of Prometric Test Centers
Prometric resumed testing in many of their testing locations in China on April 20th. The reopened centers will comply with the Chinese government’s guidelines throughout the testing process.
Prometric centers in North America (U.S. and Canada) are expected to reopen for SOA exams where possible on May 1. Reopened centers in North America will comply with local, state and Federal guidelines for physical distancing as appropriate. Details on these procedures can be found on the Prometric Corona Virus Update page. Markets expected to reopen on May 1: Prometric Test Center Re-Open Markets on May 1.
- Capacity at Prometric Centers
The physical distancing requirements in place in many locations will, out of necessity, have an effect on capacity at Prometric centers. In most locations, candidates will be seated with an open seat between each active workstation to ensure distancing guidelines are satisfied during testing. This will reduce the number of seats by half for any given day. Unfortunately, due to the distancing guidelines there is no ability to immediately increase the number of individuals allowed into the test centers or to locate and/or construct additional test centers.
The SOA is working closely with Prometric in trying to ensure that our candidates are given some priority where possible for available test center seats and that is happening to an extent, but there are other professional certification exams also offered at Prometric centers that are facing the same pressure. While Prometric is reopening centers and working to provide as many seats as possible given the constraints, it is likely that there will be shortages of available seats in some locations. Some candidates may not be able to find a seat at the Prometric test center they would prefer and may need to travel to the next closest available test center. We, and Prometric, hope this is only a one-time inconvenience but that depends heavily on progress that can be made toward controlling the pandemic such that Prometric can reopen to full capacity.
- Special Registration Window and Administration of Exam FM
In an effort to mitigate the inconvenience caused to our SOA candidates by the closing of the Prometric exam locations in the U.S. and Canada from March 18 through the end of April 2020, the SOA has reached an agreement with Prometric to add an additional short registration window and administration window for Exam FM in May 2020.
- Short Registration window – CBT only:
Wednesday, April 29, 2020 to Tuesday, May 5, 2020
- Administration window – CBT only:
Monday, May 25, 2020 through Sunday, May 31, 2020
Immediate pass/fail information will be available at the end of the test. Grades for the Special Administration for Exam FM in May 2020 will be released with the grades for the regularly scheduled June 2020 Exam FM.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, if after your registration there are no available appointments at Prometric locations within 150 miles of your location, or if you are uncomfortable going to take the exam because of the Covid-19 outbreak in your area, we are issuing credit vouchers for the next exam administration of the same exam, transferring registrations to the next exam administration of the same exam if registration is open, or refunding the exam fees in full. Note: Requests for refunds will be accepted for CBT exam registrations only up to 48 hours prior to your exam appointment. Refund requests received less than 48 hours prior to your scheduled exam appointment will not be accepted.
Any questions or concerns can be directed to Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Short Registration window – CBT only:
- Temporary Change to VEE Required Grade
Due to many universities offering or requiring a pass/fail score on spring courses, the Joint CAS/CIA/SOA VEE Administration Committee is temporarily accepting for VEE credit a pass/satisfactory mark or a grade of C or better on transcripts for the Spring and Summer 2020 semesters only. While the standard VEE policy accepts a passing score on a pass/fail course if the candidate’s professor can provide a letter that a B- or better was earned, we will not require that letter for the Spring and Summer 2020 courses.
Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
- Education committee meetings will be managed virtually for the immediate interim. Please see the SOA Education Volunteer Engage site for additional details or contact your committee chairperson.
- New SOA Spring Exam Dates Announced
Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding the Spring exam postponement that occurred as a result of the COVID-19 restrictions. We are pleased to announce the following new dates for the Spring exam administration originally scheduled for April 24 – May 5. View the detailed Spring Exam Dates Schedule for more specific information.
- July 14, 2020 – FSA Core Exams
- July 15, 2020 – FSA Advanced Exams
- July 16, 2020 – ERM Exams in the morning and FSA Specialty Exams in the afternoon
- July 17, 2020 – LTAM Exam
- July 21, 2020 – EA1 Exam in the morning and EA2L Exam in the afternoon
A short registration window will be offered for those who were unable to register for the Spring exams previously. The window will be open from May 19-26. Candidates who registered for the Spring exams and wish to participate on the new dates need do nothing further – your registration will transfer automatically to the new dates. Those unable to participate on the July dates may request a credit voucher towards the same exam in the Fall 2020 exam administration/transfer to the same exam in the Fall 2020 exam administration or receive a full refund of their registration fee. Credit voucher or refund requests for the Spring 2020 exams be made 48 hours prior to your exam date/time/appointment. Written-Answer exam refund requests received less than 48 hours prior to your scheduled exam date/time/appointment will not be accepted.
Grades for the Spring exams will be released on September 18, 2020 and the Fall 2020 exam registration deadline will be September 28, 2020.
Credit voucher/refund requests and all other related questions should be directed to the SOA Customer Service Team. SOA.org has been updated with this new information and a Frequently Asked Questions page has been added to the Education General Information area. Read the full announcement that was sent to candidates.
Read the full announcement that was sent to candidates.
- Prometric closed its test centers in the United States and Canada for a period of 30 days, starting on March 18. The three SOA computer-based testing (CBT) exams delivered by Prometric that are affected by this closure are: Investment and Financial Markets (IFM), Probability (P) and Financial Mathematics (FM). For further information and to check status of your local Prometric center please visit www.prometric.com/corona-virus-update.