Research & Podcasts
Read the latest reports, access the most updated tools and listen to the newest podcasts related to the COVID-19 pandemic from the Society of Actuaries (SOA). To access a comprehensive list of everything the SOA Research department has released on the COVID-19 pandemic, click here.
- COVID-19 Economic and Asset Update, July 31, 2020
- COVID-19 Key Statistics Update, July 24, 2020
- U.S. Population Mortality by Race
- Research Insights – U.S. Population Mortality by Race
Listen to Pete Miller, ASA, MAAA, SOA Experience Study Actuary discuss U.S. Population Mortality by Race with host R. Dale Hall, FSA, CERA, MAAA, CFA, SOA Managing Director of Research.
- Modeling Section: Implications to Actuarial Modeling from COVID-19
COVID-19 has brought another layer of uncertainty to actuarial modeling for insurance companies. How should actuarial models incorporate the impact of a pandemic? Listen now as Daphne Kwan, FSA, MAAA interviews Dana Hunt, FSA, MAAA, FRM and David Rains, FSA, MAAA and discuss the implications of COVID-19 on actuarial modeling, covering actuarial assumptions, economic assumptions, risk management and modeling capabilities.
- Marketing & Distribution Section: Mehb Khoja – Building Your Business Development Skillset
Tune in as Mehb Khoja, President of Medical Risk Managers, shares his passion for business development as an actuary. Mehb is an expert in employer stop loss and he shares his wisdom on the impact of COVID-19 on his industry.
- Health Section: COVID-19: Briefing for Impact
What are the issues payers are facing with COVID-19? Who is being tested? What are the long-term effects? This week Jackie Lee, FSA, MAAA, chats with Doug Norris, FSA, MAAA, Ph.D,, Matt Kramer, FSA, CERA, MAAA, and Pamela Pelizzari about their recent publication COVID-19: Health cost issues for U.S. healthcare payers now and in the days ahead.
- Reinsurance Section: Thomas Holzheu – COVID-19 and Global Recession
Thomas Holzheu, Chief Economist for Swiss Re Americas, discusses the current global recession with Jing Lang, FSA, FCIA, FLMI.
- Health Section: COVID-19: Updates on Impact
Quarantine, shortages, isolation, homeschooling, small businesses, group therapy, hugging, and more. This week Jackie Lee, FSA, MAAA has a follow up chat with Rebecca Owen, FSA, MAAA, FCA about the impact of COVID-19.
- Health Section: Jim Toole, FSA, MAAA, discuses SOA research he performed on the potential impact of a pandemic on the U.S. health insurance system, including issues with capacity and at-risk populations. He also offers ideas on how actuaries and their employers can partner and provide assistance to their communities, providers and others in the front lines in the podcast “Potential Impact of Pandemic Influenza on the U.S. Health Insurance Industry”
- Health Section and Marketing & Distribution Section: Listen to Chief Medical and Underwriting Officer, Dr. Garcia-Zakzuk, MD, HIA share insights on coronavirus with Jing Lang, FSA, FCIA, in the podcast "Don't be scared, but be careful – Advice from Dr. Garcia Zakzuk on COVID-19” from the Health Section and Marketing & Distribution Section.