Message From the SOA President
In a recent video message, SOA President Andrew Rallis, FSA, MAAA shares a brief update on a variety of areas on behalf of the SOA and discusses future activities.
SOA President Andrew Rallis, provides an update about the measures the SOA is taking to ensure the safety of SOA members, candidates, volunteers and staff while facing the COVID-19 pandemic.
From The Actuary Magazine
- Actuaries in the Time of Coronavirus by Robert Eaton
“Actuaries are reacting personally and professionally to the spread across the globe of the novel coronavirus and the respiratory disease COVID-19,” explains Robert Eaton, FSA, MAAA, in the article “Actuaries in the Time of Coronavirus” published as an April web exclusive in The Actuary magazine. “How should actuaries in particular think and spend their time in regard to the pandemic?” Eaton notes that during this time, we might find that our work requires clinical expertise that we can gain reaching outside of traditional actuarial practices to gain insights from experts in different fields, including epidemiologists and virologists.
The SOA in the News
The SOA continues to collaborate with media outlets providing insight into the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in a variety of sectors, including insurance, retirement, COVID-19 risk and mortality, and much more.
We have gathered articles that feature input from SOA members and staff on the COVID-19 pandemic. Please be advised that to view some of these articles you will need a subscription.
General COVID-19 Articles
- Life Insurers Braced for Hit as Bond Market Buckles, The Financial Times
- Doors May Be Closing on Life Insurance Buyers Amid COVID-19, Forbes
- Worst Case Scenario Could See Up To Five Million COVID-19 Deaths in the U.S., Insurance ERM
- Life Insurance Policy Availability for Coronavirus Coverage May Soon Shrink, Live Insurance News
- Coronavirus Auto Insurance Refunds: What to Expect, NerdWallet
- Mortality Rates Tell True Tale of Coronavirus’s Effect, The Wall Street Journal
Insurance for 2021
- Next Year’s Obamacare Premiums May Escape Impact of COVID-19, Bloomberg BNA
- Healthcare Briefing, Bloomberg BNA
- Now That Coronavirus Tests Are Free, Some Insurers are Waiving Costs for Treatment, The New York Times
- Health Insurance Rates Could Be Weirdly Stable: Actuaries, Think Advisor
- The Coronavirus’s Unpredictable Impact on Next Year’s Health Insurance Rates, Explained, Vox
- COVID-19 and Retirement Risks – Is Action Needed Now? By Anna Rappaport, Forbes
- Taking Social Security in the Pandemic: What to Know, The New York Times
- Retirement: Managing Unexpected Expenses, a Security Fund, USA Today