2010-14 Private Pension Plan Mortality Study Data Request
In October 2014, the SOA released the RP-2014 Mortality Tables Report that presented updated sets of private sector base mortality rates designed to supersede those in the RP-2000 Report. The Retirement Plans Experience Committee (RPEC) of the Society of Actuaries is now undertaking a new study of private sector mortality experience to supersede the RP-2014 Mortality Tables Report. In addition to reviewing mortality results in aggregate, RPEC intends to examine variations in mortality by demographic and employment characteristics (e.g. collar type, industry).
For a detailed description of the data that will be collected for this study, please see the data request materials package below.
In addition to the census files, the SOA strongly recommends that contributors complete the "ContributorAuditChecks.xlsx" spreadsheet found by clicking the below link. Completing this file will help contributors to verify that their data is reasonable before it is sent to the data processor and would improve the efficiency of the data validation process by allowing the data processor to compare their calculated statistics to those provided in the audit checks spreadsheet.
If you would like to contribute data to this study, please contact Patrick Nolan at the SOA office at +1-847-273-8860 or email@example.com.The targeted due date for data collection is September 30, 2016. If you are interested in participating but have concerns with meeting this deadline, or have any other questions regarding the data request materials, please contact Patrick.
- September 22, 2016: The "Contributor Audit Checks" spreadsheet was updated to request the Plan ID rather than the name of each plan. Also, on the "Age_Benefit_Salary_Stats" tab, the spreadsheet has been updated to request the median white collar benefit amount rather than the mean.
- September 2, 2016: Item #1 (Plan ID) in the "Instructions for Plan-Level Data Elements.docx" document was edited to indicate that contributors should maintain internal documentation of the plan names that correspond with each contributor-provided Plan ID. Previously, this item indicated that a Plan ID decoder should be sent to the SOA, which should not be done.
- August 12, 2016: The instructions for submitting a listing of participants whose deaths were not reflected by the final census date due to reporting lag have been updated. Plan ID should be submitted along with the Participant ID and Date of Death. See the "Lagged Death Reporting - Example.xlsx" file and Item #19 of the "Instructions for Plan-Level Data Elements.docx" document.
- August 4, 2016: The instructions now indicate that contributors will assign Plan IDs for their plans. Previously, it was indicated that the SOA would assign the Plan ID upon receiving a list of plans to be submitted by a given contributor.
- June 6, 2016: Contributor Audit Checks spreadsheet added.
- June 6, 2016: At the beginning of the Participant-Level Data Elements instructions documents, a note (Note #4 for Layout 1, Note #5 for Layout 2) was added and additional guidance has been included for the "Status" field in both documents.