The Risk of Asset Default - Report of the Society of Actuaries C-1 Risk Task Force of the Committee on Valuation and Related Areasovert defaults is to "restructure" the loan or direct placement, thereby avoiding the unpleasantness ... default-creating process has changed since 1945. In more direct language, we are living in a different economic ...
Description: This paper summarizes default experience on bonds from 1900 through 1987. Although the information is more extensive for publicly traded bonds, the paper includes some information on private placements, some of which is not otherwise available.Hide
- Authors: Application Administrator, Aaron Tenenbein, Irwin T Vanderhoof, Ralph Verni
- Date: Oct 1989
- Competency: External Forces & Industry Knowledge>Actuarial theory in business context; Technical Skills & Analytical Problem Solving
- Publication Name: Transactions of the SOA
- Topics: Economics>Financial markets; Finance & Investments>Investments
Advising Management on Solvency and Solidityguarantees~ and it is natura l to extend the same care shown in investing ~ the basic pol icy funds to ... should be determined as c losely as possible, with care given to the se lect ion of probable future investment ...
Description: In this paper, chapter V of the 1987 Valuation Actuary Handbook, the authors start with a discussion of how the recent economic environment with volatile interest rates has changed the valuation and surplus management process to one more dependent on actuarial judgment. In a discussion of surplus policy, the authors identify four “layers” of surplus which have been identified by scenario testing. These surplus layers, along with policy reserves, are based on specific invested assets. The paper discusses implications for the future and notes the actuary’s ability to advise management on surplus adequacy is a basic tool of risk management.Hide
- Authors: Terrence M Owens, Ralph Verni
- Date: Jan 1987
- Competency: External Forces & Industry Knowledge>Actuarial methods in business operations
- Topics: Finance & Investments>Capital management - Finance & Investments; Finance & Investments>Investment policy