The Stepping StoneDiversity Committee (IDC). The volunteers who direct it, and the staff who support us, are all very ... minorities at all levels of the education system, from primary school to medical school. They developed recommendations ...
Description: metadata for the entire issueHide
- Authors: Society of Actuaries
- Date: May 2016
- Competency: Communication>Oral communication; Communication>Persuasive communication; Communication>Written communication; Leadership>Change management; Leadership>Influence; Leadership>Mentoring; Leadership>Thought leadership; Professional Values; Relationship Management>Relationships and trust; Relationship Management>Staff management and motivation; Strategic Insight and Integration>Influence decisions
- Publication Name: The Stepping Stone
- Topics: Actuarial Profession>Best practices; Actuarial Profession>Code of Conduct; Actuarial Profession>Competencies; Actuarial Profession>Entrepreneurism; Actuarial Profession>Professional development; Actuarial Profession>Traditional careers; Enterprise Risk Management>Risk appetite
Actuarial Student ProgramsActuarial Student Programs Over the last decade, the actuarial career has gained significant ... NYC- based MassMutual startup fo- cused on online, direct-to-con- sumer insurance products for the millennial ...
Description: Over the last decade, the actuarial career has gained significant attention of entry level job-seekers as it continues to be one of the consistently top rated jobs in the market. There are different avenues to break into the profession, but one of the most common is through an Actuarial Student Program, where a company formally supports the exam progress of individuals through paid study materials, exam fees, and time off to study. Most programs also include an emphasis on development of leadership and communication skills. As the recruiter for MassMutual’s Actuarial Student Program, I get the opportunity to regularly share with candidates why I believe a student program is such a powerful springboard for a successful actuarial career. Profiled in the article is two actuarial students and one recent actuarial student program “graduate” to highlight the value a student program can bring to one’s professional development.Hide
- Authors: Mark Sayre, Mark Spong, Angela McShane, Amanda Hug
- Date: Nov 2015
- Competency: Communication>Oral communication; Communication>Persuasive communication; Communication>Written communication; External Forces & Industry Knowledge>Actuarial theory in business context; Leadership>Influence; Leadership>Mentoring; Leadership>Professional network leverage; Leadership>Thought leadership; Strategic Insight and Integration>Big picture view
- Publication Name: Actuary of the Future
- Topics: Actuarial Profession>Competencies; Actuarial Profession>Management skills; Actuarial Profession>Professional development; Actuarial Profession>Traditional careers