From the EditorsFrom the Editors “Academic Actuaries” is a new column that has been added to the Independent Consultant ... what students think about topics such as health care and social security; Nick Ortner describes the ...
- Authors: Carlos Sanchez-Fuentes, Stephen James
- Date: Feb 2016
- Competency: Communication>Persuasive communication; Communication>Written communication; External Forces & Industry Knowledge>General business skills; Leadership>Mentoring; Leadership>Professional network leverage; Leadership>Thought leadership; Professional Values>Ethical standards
- Publication Name: The Independent Consultant
- Topics: Actuarial Profession>Alternative careers; Actuarial Profession>Code of Conduct; Actuarial Profession>Entrepreneurism; Actuarial Profession>Ethics; Actuarial Profession>Traditional careers
Actuarial Student ProgramsActuarial Student Programs Over the last decade, the actuarial career has gained significant ... NYC- based MassMutual startup fo- cused on online, direct-to-con- sumer insurance products for the millennial ...
Description: Over the last decade, the actuarial career has gained significant attention of entry level job-seekers as it continues to be one of the consistently top rated jobs in the market. There are different avenues to break into the profession, but one of the most common is through an Actuarial Student Program, where a company formally supports the exam progress of individuals through paid study materials, exam fees, and time off to study. Most programs also include an emphasis on development of leadership and communication skills. As the recruiter for MassMutual’s Actuarial Student Program, I get the opportunity to regularly share with candidates why I believe a student program is such a powerful springboard for a successful actuarial career. Profiled in the article is two actuarial students and one recent actuarial student program “graduate” to highlight the value a student program can bring to one’s professional development.Hide
- Authors: Mark Sayre, Mark Spong, Angela McShane, Amanda Hug
- Date: Nov 2015
- Competency: Communication>Oral communication; Communication>Persuasive communication; Communication>Written communication; External Forces & Industry Knowledge>Actuarial theory in business context; Leadership>Influence; Leadership>Mentoring; Leadership>Professional network leverage; Leadership>Thought leadership; Strategic Insight and Integration>Big picture view
- Publication Name: Actuary of the Future
- Topics: Actuarial Profession>Competencies; Actuarial Profession>Management skills; Actuarial Profession>Professional development; Actuarial Profession>Traditional careers
10 Easy Steps To Your Next Actuarial Opportunity10 Easy Steps To Your Next Actuarial Opportunity This article is a comprehensive outline of the ... your offer letter carefully and make sure you take care of all of the necessary homework, such as drug ...
Description: This article is a comprehensive outline of the steps involved in a successful job search, specifically for actuaries seeking new opportunities. Drawing on my many years of experience placing actuaries, this article assists in managing the potential pitfalls of the process from the time you decide to start investigating new opportunities, until you have accepted an offer.Hide
- Authors: Patty Kent
- Date: Nov 2013
- Competency: Communication>Persuasive communication
- Publication Name: The Stepping Stone
- Topics: Actuarial Profession>Traditional careers