Interested in Volunteering with the SOA? The SOA Actuary of the Future Section is looking for an intern!
The Section Council Intern (SCI) will be an affiliate member of the SOA Actuary of the Future Section (AOF). The position has a one-year, non-renewable term, and participation will be as a non-voting Friend of the Council.
To the selected SCI:
- Enhance your resume with industry-level leadership experience
- Opportunities to network
- Gain familiarity with the AOF and SOA
- Develop business skills such as written and oral communication, organization, leadership, and effective teamwork skills
To all SCI applicants:
- Practice applying for a position
- Open doors to additional opportunities for participation in the AOF and SOA
- Candidates who are not selected but choose to participate with the AOF in another capacity will have access to the same benefits outlined for the selected SCI
Preferred applicant requirements include: two exams completed and 3.0 (or equivalent) GPA if enrolled at a college. A resume and brief cover letter is required. References may be requested. You must also be a member of the Actuary of the Future Section. Joining is easy! Join the AOF.
If interested, fill out our online application by October 21, 2016.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will the SCI be selected?
- The Section Council Intern Position Team will review all applications received and perform phone interviews if deemed necessary. The SCI will be selected by the AOF Section Council in early November.
When does this position take effect?
- Once the SCI is selected, he or she will participate in monthly council calls and AOF initiatives beginning in late November.
What will be expected of the SCI?
- The SCI will be expected to attend monthly council calls, participate on at least one AOF project, and serve as an ambassador for the AOF. Recent AOF projects include developing the first SOA podcasts, creating marketing materials for the AOF Section, and leading a mentoring effort to connect young actuaries with more experienced actuaries. The total time commitment will be based on the project selected. Some projects have consistent time commitments from month-to-month, while others vary depending on project deadlines. It is estimated that the average total time commitment is five hours per month.
What are the responsibilities of the council with respect to the SCI?
- The council will support the participation and involvement of the SCI. The section chair will ultimately be responsible for ensuring that the SCI is actively engaged.