Announcing the winners of the 54th Actuarial Research Conference (ARC) Presentation and Poster Competitions
Congratulations to winners of the 2019 ARC Presentation Prizes for their superior presentations and posters at this year’s ARC hosted by Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Purdue University, Ball State University, Butler University, and University of Notre Dame at IUPUI in Indianapolis, IN. The Education & Research Section Council has awarded prizes for the eight best presentations ($500 for 1st place, $200 for honorable mentions) and three best posters ($250 for 1st place, $125 for honorable mentions.)
- 1st place – Shuai (Alex) Yang for “Efficient Dynamic Hedging for Large Variable Annuity Portfolios with Multiple Underlying Assets”
- Honorable Mention – Zach Horton for “Territorial Ratemaking Using Moran Basis Functions”
- Honorable mention – *Nicholas Beck for “Predicting extreme surges from sparse data using a copula-based hierarchical Bayesian spatial model”
- Honorable mention – Daniel Woods for “The County Fair Cyber Loss Distribution: Drawing inferences from Insurance Prices”
- Honorable mention – Jessica Ou Dang for “Importance-Allocated Nested Simulation (IANS) for tail risk estimation”
- Honorable mention – Lisa Gao for “The impact of unmet oral health needs on hospital emergency department utilization”
- Honorable mention – Nhan Huynh for “Multi-population longevity models: a spatial random field approach”
- Honorable mention – Zhiyu Quan for “Hybrid Tree-based Models for Insurance claims”
- 1st place – Hayley Jordan for “Two-stage predictive models for assessing misrepresentation risk on self-reported tobacco status in health insurance ratemaking”
- Honorable Mention – Jessica Li for “A multi-state model for pricing critical illness insurance products”
- Honorable Mention – Daniel Geiger for “Corrected phase-type approximations”
Congratulations to all!
* Previous prize winner and thus will not receive a cash award this time.