Investment Section Membership Drive Prize Contest Official Rules
No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase or payment of any kind will not increase your chances of winning.
These are the Official Rules that govern how the Society of Actuaries' (SOA) Investment Section Membership Prize Contest ("Contest") will operate. In these rules, "you" and "your" refers to an eligible Contest entrant ("Entrant"). By entering, Entrants acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements.
Contest open to legal residents of the fifty (50) states of the United States and the District of Columbia and Canada (void in Puerto Rico, all U.S. territories and possessions, all U.S. overseas military installations, and void in Quebec) who are at least eighteen (18) years of age or older as of December 21, 2016. Employees of the Society of Actuaries ("Sponsor") are not eligible to enter the Contest. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Sponsor reserves the right to verify eligibility qualifications of the Winners. Entries received after the Entry Period are void.
- Contest Period and Verification Period
The Contest entry period begins at 8:00 AM Central Standard Time (CST) on December 21, 2016, and ends March 31, 2017 at 11:59:59 PM Central Daylight Time (CDT) ("Entry Period"). The VERIFICATION PERIOD begins on December 22, 2016 at 12:00 AM CDT and ends on April 1, 2017 at 11:59:59 PM CDT.
- Contest Guidelines
Entrants enter the Contest by having RECRUITED NEW MEMBERS go to the "Join a Section" page and pay the $25 Investment Section dues. The RECRUITED NEW MEMBER can send a "Thank You Letter" from the dues page (which notifies the judges of the recruitment), or Entrants can email the names of RECRUITED NEW MEMBERS to Leslie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the close of the Entry Period, in accordance with the following rules:
- Entrants must be current members of the Society of Actuaries' Investment Section, with 2016 dues paid.
- For each RECRUITED NEW MEMBER the Entrant recruits, the Entrant will be awarded one (1) point. Points will only be awarded after the end of the VERIFICATION PERIOD.
- The RECRUITED NEW MEMBERS names must be listed in the email as they appear in the Online Directory of Actuarial Memberships ("Directory").
- RECRUITED NEW MEMBERS will be asked to verify the member/Entrant who recruited them to join the Investment Section by email, using the email address on file in the Directory after the close of the Entry Period.
- To count as a RECRUITED NEW MEMBER, the individual must: 1) have paid SOA and Investment Section 2017 membership dues by the close of the Entry Period; and 2) the individual may not have been an Investment Section member in 2016.
- For RECRUITED NEW MEMBERS who were recruited by more than one Entrant, each Entrant will receive a pro rata share of the point awarded for recruiting the RECRUITED NEW MEMBER. For example, if a RECRUITED NEW MEMBER was recruited by two Entrants, each Entrant will receive a ½ point.
- If during the verification process the response is ambiguous, the Investment Section Council ("Judges") will determine to whom to award the point for that RECRUITED NEW MEMBER, if any. The Judges' decisions will be final and binding.
There will be three winners selected: first place, second place, and third place ("Winners"). Winners will be determined based on the number of points earned. Ties will be settled as follows:
- Winners who have the same number of RECRUITED NEW MEMBERS will share the prize money pro rata for the number of places (i.e. first, second, and third) they occupy. For example, if three Winners each recruited 20 RECRUITED NEW MEMBERS, then these three Winners will each get one third of the total prize money for first, second and third places combined.
- If there is a tie for third place, the Winners who tie will split the prize for third place pro rata.
Prizes will be awarded for first place ($500.00 USD), second place ($300.00 USD) and third place ($200.00 USD). Winners will be notified by phone, mail or email and will be required to complete Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability/Publicity Release (where legal) and W9 Taxpayer Identification Form, if applicable. These documents must be signed, notarized and returned within seven (7) days of issuance of notification. Failure to comply will result in disqualification and the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to another Entrant. All taxes on the prizes and other expenses related to accepting and/or using the prize not listed in these Official Rules are the sole responsibility of the winner, who will receive an IRS Form 1099 reflecting the final actual value of the Prize.
By entering or participating in the Contest, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules, the terms and conditions of the Contest Sponsor's website, and by the decisions of Sponsor and Judges, which are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor is not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information or technical failures of any kind, or (2) any other computer, network, technical, human or other error, problem or malfunction that may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing of entries, or the selection or notification of winners. Further, if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned for reasons outside the control of the Sponsor which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest (or portion thereof), Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest (or portion thereof). In the event of such cancellation, termination, modification or suspension, Sponsor will select Winners from all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to such action. Sponsor also reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify the entry of any individual found to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or (b) violating these Official Rules or the terms of service, conditions of use, and/or general rules of any Sponsor property or service. Contest Sponsor is not responsible for claims, injuries, losses or damages of any kind resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the awarding, delivery, acceptance, use, misuse, possession, loss or misdirection of the prize; participation in this Contest or in any activity or travel related thereto or from any interaction with Contest information. Contest Sponsor makes no warranties, and hereby disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, concerning any prize furnished in connection with this Contest.
- By entering, Entrants consent to the use of their name, biographical information, photographs and/or likenesses for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation (except where prohibited) by Sponsor for purposes concerning this Contest or succeeding contests and for publicity, special events and advertising purposes in connection with promoting the Society of Actuaries, the SOA Investment Section, its website and/or this Contest or succeeding contests.
- By entering, each Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify, release and hold harmless the Sponsor from and against any and all losses, demands, damages, rights, claims, injuries, actions and liabilities of any kind arising out of or related to Entrant's participation in the Contest. Any disputes that may arise hereunder shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of Illinois without regard to the conflicts of laws principles of any jurisdiction. Venue with respect to any such disputes shall be had in the state and federal courts of the State of Illinois. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In any cause of action, the Sponsor's liability will be limited to five hundred dollars ($500.00 USD). By participating in the Contest, each Entrantwaives the right to claim any additional damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, incidental or indirect damages.
Personal information submitted to enter the Contest will only be used to in the event you win the Contest, if there is a question or issue regarding your entry or its content, and if there is an issue or news to communicate to you pertaining to the Contest. We will not disclose, give, sell, or transfer any personal information about you, unless required for law enforcement or by statute.
The Winner(s) will be posted on the SOA Investment Section website , on or about May 1, 2017.
The Sponsor of this Contest is Society of Actuaries' Investment Section, 475 N. Martingale Road, Suite 600, Schaumburg, IL 60173.