Request to be a part of a Listserv (electronic discussion list) to stay up–to–date with SOA news. Customize your subscriptions to receive the news that matters to you.
Guidelines for Listservs
A Listserv serves as an electronic mailing list to form online interest groups or to facilitate group discussions among Listserv members. Listservs are used to promote two–way communication and discussion on an ongoing basis. With the current Listserv software, there are no archival capabilities. Messages are posted and received through an email account. Members receive an email for every message posted. Emails posted on a Listserv may be forwarded to others without obtaining consent.
To receive one email daily that provides listing by subject line and author of all emails sent that day, users may opt to receive the "digest" version. To subscribe to the "digest" option, send an email to the
Listserv and type "digest xxx" for the email text, where xxx is the name of the Listserv. You do not need a subject line. Digest subscribers receive a confirmation message that their request has been received.
Sometimes subscribers need to be reminded of Listserv etiquette. Here are a few basics:
- Use a descriptive subject line. Think of the subject line as a headline. What will grab the reader's attention?
- Be concise and direct. Long–winded messages often are set aside to be read later or not at all. o Use short paragraphs and bullets for quick skimming.
- Don't send attachments. Either paste the text inside the email (if it's short) or include a URL. The URL should include http:// so that browser–enabled software can automatically link to it.
- Check for accuracy of any included URL by visiting the Web address before posting your message.
- Clicking on "reply" normally delivers your response to all Listserv subscribers. If you want to reply to just one individual, cut and paste that address into your email software.
- Don't send an automatic rule for vacations or out–of–office responses without first filtering your email (e.g., filter all Listserv emails in one folder, then all other emails receive the automatic response.) Or LEAVE the Listserv during vacations and JOIN upon you return.