Terms and Conditions of Use, (“Terms”) which are incorporated into this Policy by this reference, further describes the Terms governing your use of this website.
By visiting the website you are accepting the practices described in this Policy.
The SOA may amend this Policy at any time without notice to you. Changes to this Policy may affect the way we use the information collected about you, including personally identifiable information provided by you. Please visit our website to obtain current information about our Policy.
If you have an inquiry or concern about our Policy, please contact us at +1.888.697.3900 or
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
The information we collect generally falls into two categories: (1) personally identifiable information that you voluntarily provide to us (“PII”), and (2) tracking information collected as you navigate through the website (“Non-PII”).
PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
We may collect and store your PII whenever you do the following:
- Sign up to be a member, update your profile, register for a meeting, register as an actuarial candidate, pay member dues, register for an exam or register for a webinar, webcast or other learning vehicle. We collect information such as your name, birth date, mailing address, email address, phone number, and credit card information. We use this information to process your request. We also endeavor to collect demographic information such as educational information, gender, race/ethnicity, country of origin, language fluency, employment status and work address. We may use this demographic to help the SOA better understand and service its members.
- Sign up to be a registered user of the website. When you sign up to be a registered user of the website, we ask you to provide your name, mailing address, email address, and phone number. We use this information to process your request.
- Purchase our products or services. When you purchase products or services from us through the website, we will collect PII about you such as your name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, and credit card number. We use this information to process and communicate with you about your order.
- Complete a survey. We collect various information depending on the nature of the survey, which may include your name, mailing address, title, employer, email address, and phone number. The use of the data collected in the survey will be disclosed in the survey itself.
- Sign up for a newsletter or express interest in volunteering for the SOA. Among other items, we may collect your name, title, company name, mailing address, email address, and phone number. We use this information to process your request.
In addition to the uses outlined above, the SOA uses information collected to provide you with information regarding the SOA and its products and services, as well as the products and services of third parties the SOA believes may be of interest to you. If you do not want the SOA to contact you with this information, please follow the opt-out procedures below.
AGGREGATE AND COMPUTER- RELATED INFORMATION
When you use the website, we may collect tracking information such as your browser type, the type of operating system you use, the domain name of your Internet service provider, and pages visited on the website. We collect this information for aggregate reporting on website activity and for identifying possible sources of website abuse. For example, we may want to know how long the average user spends on the website or which pages or features get the most attention.
When we collect this information we endeavor to make any personally identifiable information non-personally identifiable by combining it with information about other individuals or by removing characteristics that make the information personally identifiable to you. SOA reserves the right to share with third parties aggregated information about you and other visitors to our website. We share this information in order to improve our website and develop content and services that may be of interest to you.
SOA may share non-PII with business partners, sponsors, and other third parties. We reserve the right to use, transfer, sell, and share aggregated, anonymous data about our users as a group for any business purpose, such as analyzing usage trends and seeking compatible advertisers and partners.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
Except as provided below, SOA does not share your PII with third parties without your permission.
- We publicly post and may also disclose to third parties the names of those individuals who have passed an examination.
- When you become a member, we include the information you designate in the
Online Directory of Actuarial Memberships, a publicly accessible internet resource. When completing your membership application, you may limit the information available in the Online Directory of Actuarial Memberships; however, at a minimum, the directory will include your name, CPD compliance status, and member status.
- We may also disclose information about you to third parties, including employers and prospective employers, upon request.
- We may share PII about your SOA membership with other actuarial organizations, and may disclose your other PII to other actuarial organizations affiliated with you if they have a reasonable interest in the information. These organizations may use your PII to contact you about becoming a member of their organizations or other topics which may be of interest to you.
- We may share PII about you as a member, former member, customer, former customer, or user of the website with other companies that may want to contact you with offers consistent with your stated preferences. You may opt-out of receiving future mailings from other entities by following the instructions set forth in the opt-out section below.
- We may share your PII with sponsors, partners, and exhibitors who participate in SOA conferences, programs, and events.
- We may display PII about you as a member, former member, customer, former customer or user in our private online communities, forums, collaboration tools, and member portal(s) (“Private Online Services”). The information about you displayed in the Private Online Services may include your name, mailing address, email address, social networks and e-Learning courses. You may limit the information displayed in these Private Online Services by changing your privacy preferences.
- We also may disclose information to outside companies that help us bring you the products and services we offer or that are necessary to process the transaction you request. For example, we may work with an outside company to: (a) process credit card transactions; (b) administer a survey; (c) manage a database of customer or member information; (d) assist us in distributing emails; (e) assist us with direct marketing and data collection; (f) provide us storage and analysis; (g) provide fraud prevention; (h) administer an examination or e-Learning module; and (i) other services designed to assist us in maximizing our business potential.
- We may disclose your PII to third parties with your permission.
- We may disclose PII you provide via the website in connection with the sale, assignment, or other transfer of the business or a portion of the business of the website, including a corporate merger, consolidation, restructuring, sale of assets, or other corporate change of our company.
- Device Information. We may collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number) when you visit any SOA web property. The SOA may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your SOA Account.
- Log Information. When you visit any SOA website, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs or in your browser. This may include: details of how you used our service, such as your search queries and content you accessed; your internet protocol address; device and event information such as hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL; and cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your SOA Account.
- Location Information. When you use a location-enabled service provided by the SOA, we may collect and process information about your actual location, like GPS signals sent by a mobile device. We may also use various technologies to determine location, such as sensor data from your device that may, for example, provide information on nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
- Transactional Information. When you perform an online transaction, we may store information in your browser required to complete the transaction such as a session identifier.
- Demographic Information. When you login to any SOA website, we may automatically store non-personally identifiable demographic information in your browser to help deliver a personalized experience.
Allowing cookies will provide a user with the best possible experience on the SOA website. However, you can delete cookies or manage tracking technologies through your browser settings. If you choose to disable cookies, certain sections of the website will not work properly. If you use different devices to view and access the SOA website (e.g. your computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.) you will need to ensure that the browser on each device is adjusted to suit your cookie preferences.
OPT OUT OR CHANGE INFORMATION
If you do not want to receive email from us, or you want to prevent your information from being used for purposes other than those for which it was originally collected, or if you need to update your information, please let us know by changing your settings preferences by logging into “My SOA”, sending an email to
email@example.com, by calling us at +1.888.697.3900 or +1.847.706.3500, or writing to us at Attn: Customer Service Dept., 475 N. Martingale Rd., Suite 600, Schaumburg, IL 60173.
Due to production, mailing, and system timelines, it may take some time to process a request to prevent information from being used for other purposes. In addition, we may still use your information to communicate with you for other purposes, such as about new or existing orders and purchases, governance related information and changes, for customer service purposes, regarding examinations, and/or membership.
SECURITY OF INFORMATION
The website has industry standard security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. While there is no such thing as "perfect security" on the Internet, we will take all reasonable steps to insure the safety of your personal information.
THIRD PARTY LINKS
The website may also contain links to other third party websites that are not under our control. These websites may have their own policies or no policies at all, regarding privacy. You should review these policies before providing information to these websites. The SOA has no responsibility for linked websites, and provides these links solely for the convenience and information of our website visitors.
If you choose to visit and/or use the website, your use, visit, and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Policy and our
Last Updated: March 2017.