2016 Hickman Scholars Reception
The Society of Actuaries (SOA) honored the 2016-2017 scholars of the James C. Hickman Scholar program at a reception that took place Oct. 24 during the 2016 SOA Annual Meeting and Exhibit in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Faculty from university and college actuarial science programs that are SOA Centers of Actuarial Excellence (CAE), SOA Board members, staff and SOA President, Jerry Brown FSA, MAAA, EA were present to celebrate the event.
Brown provided an overview of the prestigious James C. Hickman Scholar program, which was named in honor of professor James C. Hickman, who made numerous contributions to teaching during his 40-year academic career, including co-authorship of the Actuarial Mathematics textbook.
The James C. Hickman Scholar program was established in 2009 to increase the number of academic actuaries who hold a PhD and an actuarial designation, and who intend to pursue academic careers.
The new class of 2016-2017 Hickman Scholars include:
- Marie-Pier Côté, McGill University, pursuing a Ph.D. in Statistics
- Hengxin Cui, University of Waterloo, pursuing a Ph.D. in Actuarial Science
- Haibo Liu, University of Iowa, pursuing a Ph.D. in Statistics
- Adolph Nii Okine, University of Wisconsin-Madison, pursuing a Ph.D. in Actuarial Science
- Tsun Yu Wong, University of Waterloo, pursuing a Ph.D. in Actuarial Science
One scholars who achieved her Ph.D. as a Hickman scholar was also recognized:
- Shu Li, Ph.D. in Actuarial Science at the University of Waterloo
The SOA wishes to congratulate all the James C. Hickman Scholars for their achievements. Visit our picture gallery for photos of the reception at the 2016 SOA Annual Meeting & Exhibit in Las Vegas, NV.