Our mission at the Society of Actuaries (SOA) is to elevate the current and future generations of the actuarial profession to places of leadership and to continue their development in risk measurement and management and the improvement of financial outcomes for individuals, organizations and the public.
The World Counts on Actuaries
A pessimist might suggest that actuaries study and measure potential for loss. An optimist would say actuaries identify opportunities for a more secure future.
Actuaries dedicate their time to delivering value to businesses, organizations and the public that can help make key decisions for the future of the world. How is that possible? With tasks like risk management, an actuary can bring financial security to individuals. Discover a sense of satisfaction and delve into the recognition, rewards and respect you can receive in this position.
- Actuaries receive designations. Through hard work and dedication, you earn recognition for your expertise and knowledge useful in making a difference.
- Consistently ranked as one of the best careers, actuaries enjoy satisfying work, excellent salaries and a wide avenue for career development. Actuaries can also be rewarded with high-level positions that companies rely on, like Chief Actuary and Chief Risk Actuary. Actuaries are not in the back room, they are in the board room
- Actuarial skills are respected in the workforce.
- Earning a credential with the SOA provides members with a globally accredited designation, granting each actuary the chance to practice anywhere in the world. While other organizations may limit the ability to enter the actuarial profession based on location, certified SOA credentials are highly marketable and valuable to employers, especially those in international markets.
The SOA is dedicated to the development and advancement of the current and next generations of actuaries. The continuing educational progression of our future members is a priority that we take in strides. We offer a wealth of continuing education, volunteer and professional development resources, and opportunities crafted to empower and encourage individuals to grow, advance and give back to their chosen field.
- Delve into learning programs made for actuaries, whatever your role may be. You’ll have access to training programs that study the fundamental principles of actuarial science, advance traditional actuarial roles with new development materials, and present a variety of study topics for actuaries in non-traditional roles.
- State-of-the-art seminars, virtual sessions, webcasts, and e-courses are available worldwide. The SOA has worked hard to establish a global actuarial curriculum dedicated to the development of your actuarial skillset.
- The SOA is focused on supporting future actuaries by engaging students and supporting schools that highlight the actuarial science career field. For students, career changers and entry-level actuaries, we currently offer the Affiliate Membership Program and Candidate Connect events, each bringing educational presentations, roundtable discussions and networking opportunities to the hands of interested individuals.
- Utilize key resources like the Centers of Actuarial Excellence (CAE), which recognizes outstanding universities or programs elevating the actuarial professions, and the Universities and Colleges with Actuarial Programs (UCAP), which provides a list of colleges/universities with actuarial programs for students.
Leading Innovative Research
By conducting and sharing cutting-edge research, the SOA ensures that our current and future actuaries have up-to-date knowledge as the world continues to change. Our research supports a dynamic agenda with a wide range of topics, which include emerging risks, disability, retirement plans, healthcare costs, and longevity.
- We work to deliver a wide range of value and impact research initiatives built to help current and future SOA members. Enjoy technical and informative resources that can help contribute a great value to the people/organization you’ll serve.
- Cultivate innovative and practical ideas that help actuaries make a difference to expand the boundaries of the profession. Actuaries serve as a trusted source that can do good for businesses and the world. You’ll be able to provide data-driven analysis for media, legislators and other influencers.
Global Actuarial Community
As the SOA continues to expand its services across the world, we aim to properly serve our growing global market of actuaries. We create avenues for our actuaries to communicate and connect across a wide span of cultures, business climates and geographies.
- We continue to provide regions and countries with information that addresses local needs. This education is delivered through numerous opportunities with virtual meetings, in-person events,, on-demand recordings, self-guided materials and other formats effective across time zones.
- By providing international social media channels, the SOA ensures collaboration and connection is globally available for our actuaries.
Support the Profession
Credentials earned at the SOA are recognized as prestigious, valuable and globally accredited. As we strive to elevate the profession, we aim to support our actuaries by:
- Equipping them and organizations they serve to effectively measure and manage risk.
- Promoting high standards of professional competence and conduct within the actuarial profession.
- Strengthening existing relationships and developing new opportunities with employers.
- Promoting the value of SOA credentials to attract the best candidates.
- Furthering the reputation and influence of the actuarial profession among the public.