University of Calgary – Position Announcement
The University of Calgary invites applications for a tenure track position at the Assistant Professor level in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, beginning July 1, 2006. A later starting date may be negotiated.
The Department is seeking an outstanding candidate with research expertise in one of the following four categories:
- Actuarial science. Applicants should be accredited, or be working towards accreditation in the Society of Actuaries or Casualty Actuarial Society, or in the very least have passed SOA exams M and C.
- Discrete Geometry including theory of packing, covering and tiling, theory of polytopes, convex and combinatorial geometry, geometry of numbers, computational geometry and discrete aspects of geometric analysis.
- Mathematical Finance, particularly with mathematical and/or computational finance experience of relevance to energy markets. Calgary is a thriving centre for the North American energy industry and there are excellent opportunities within the Mathematical and Computational Finance Laboratory to work on problems of both theoretical and practical importance.
- Mathematical analysis and scientific computation, with expertise in differential equations and imaging.
Exceptional candidates in other fields are also encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Calgary respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity.
The initial closing date is March 1, 2006, but applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
Candidates are encouraged to apply for the position using the MathJobs website at www.mathjobs.org by March 1, 2006.
Please submit curriculum vitae together with a description of Research Expertise and a short statement about Teaching Philosophy. Applicants should provide at least three letters of recommendation. At least one of these letters should report on the candidate's teaching abilities. Preferably these letters will be submitted through the MathJobs website; they may also be sent directly to:
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- University of Calgary
- 2500 University Drive NW
- Calgary, Alberta, T2N lN4
Curriculum vitae may be sent by fax to: 403.282.5150; or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org