CPD Tracker: Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get the SOA CPD Tracker?
- Download the SOA CPD Tracker from the Apple iTunes store.
- Access the SOA CPD Tracker by using most major Web browsers by Windows computers, Macintosh computers or Android devices at https://cpd.soa.org.
- Log in to My SOA portal to access the SOA CPD Tracker.
How much does the SOA CPD Tracker cost?
The SOA CPD Tracker is free to access and use.
How do I log in?
- You may log in to the SOA CPD Tracker with your existing SOA online services account.
- If you don't remember your account information, you can use the forgot username and forgot password features.
Do I need to be an SOA member to use the SOA CPD Tracker?
- No, anyone may use the SOA CPD Tracker.
- If you do not have an online account with SOA (or in the Online Directory of Actuarial Memberships), you can create a first-time user account.
Which devices support the SOA CPD Tracker?
- The SOA CPD Tracker includes a native mobile app for Apple devices running iOS 7 and above.
- A Web interface may also be accessed using most major Web browsers (e.g., Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari) on Windows, Mac and Android platforms.
If I enter CPD credits into the SOA CPD Tracker using my iPhone, will those credits automatically appear on my other devices?
- Yes, the mobile apps and Web interface share the same data source.
- Any credits you enter into an iPhone app, iPad app or Web interface will simultaneously appear in the other devices or browsers.
Can I download the data I enter into the SOA CPD Tracker?
- Yes, you can download your data to Microsoft Excel by clicking the "Download" button.
- This download feature is only available through the Web interface.
I previously tracked my CPD information in Microsoft Excel. Can I upload my own data into the SOA CPD Tracker?
- Yes, the SOA CPD Tracker includes a dynamic import feature that allows you to map the columns in your spreadsheet to the SOA CPD Tracker format and upload the data using a CSV (comma-separated-value) format.
- Your spreadsheet may need to be modified slightly to work in this manner.
- It's recommended that the import feature be used only once to initially load your data into the system.
- After it's loaded, you may use the "Download" feature in the SOA CPD Tracker to keep a backup copy of your data in Microsoft Excel.
- This import feature is only available through the Web interface.
I’m not sure which CPD standard(s) I should be tracking. How do I know which ones to track?
Each sponsoring organization maintains different requirements for CPD. Please check with the respective organization for full details. For quick reference, here are the different standards:
- SOA CPD requirement (Section B)
- Joint Board (Enrolled Actuaries)
- U.S. Qualification Standard (General)
- U.S. Qualification Standard (Specific)
- Canadian Institute of Actuaries (CIA) Qualification Standard
How can I add an activity to the catalog so other actuaries can find it?
If you attend an event, take a course, listen to a podcast or watch a webcast with other actuaries that's not listed in the catalog, you can make it easy for other users to record credit in the SOA CPD Tracker by doing the following.
- Select “manually enter a new activity” and choose to share that activity with other users by checking the “add this activity to the catalog” box.
- This activity will then be submitted to the SOA for possible inclusion in the CPD catalog.
- If approved, the activity will appear in the CPD catalog and will allow other users to add the activity.
- Your name will appear as the person who submitted the activity.
- If you have a large number of activities to add to the catalog (for example, several sessions at a conference), please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m from another actuarial organization that's not represented in the activity catalog. How can we get our data into the SOA CPD Tracker activity catalog?
- The SOA has established a data-sharing program for this purpose.
- It's as simple as providing the SOA with a spreadsheet containing information about your organization’s professional development programs in order to load your data.
- Please contact Colleen Bagnasco in SOA’s Professional Development department to obtain the file format and details on joining the data sharing program.
Questions About Using the SOA CPD Tracker
I’m searching for a particular CPD activity in the catalog and it's not appearing in the search results? Why is this happening?
This may occur because the activity:
- Does not qualify for CPD credit.
- Occurred prior to Jan. 1, 2013. The SOA CPD Tracker is designed to operate with CPD cycles starting after this date.
- Is very recent or occurs in the future (the activities in the catalog are updated on a quarterly basis).
- Was with one of the other organizations that shares information with the SOA CPD Tracker and they haven't shared information about the activity or event with SOA.
- Is for an e-learning course or virtual session, which are not in the catalog at this time.
- Virtual sessions purchased from the SOA may be added from your SOA orders if purchased after Jan. 1, 2013.
- You may manually add activities not found in the CPD catalog by selecting "Add new activities" from the home screen and choosing "Manually enter a new activity."
I’m searching for a particular CPD activity from my SOA orders, but it does not appear in the search results. Why?
This may occur for any of the following reasons:
- The activity does not qualify for CPD credit.
- The activity occurred prior to Jan. 1, 2013. The SOA CPD Tracker is designed to operate with CPD cycles starting after this date.
Note: You may manually add activities not found in the catalog by selecting "Add new activities" from the home screen and choosing "Manually enter a new activity."
How do I change the date format?
- Click the "Settings" button.
- Choose a different date format.
How do I start tracking multiple standards?
To select specific CPD standards to track:
- Click the "Settings" button.
- Mark the checkbox next to those standards you wish to track.
How do I enter self-study activities such as book readings?
To enter self-study activities:
- Click the "Add new activities" button.
- Choose "Manually enter a new activity."
- This feature allows you to enter an activity in freeform edit mode.
I registered online for a major SOA event (such as the SOA Annual Meeting). How come the sessions I attended don't appear on my list of SOA Orders?
- Only those sessions you selected during the online registration process will appear in your list of SOA orders.
- If you didn't select your sessions when you registered, you can add them to the SOA CPD Tracker by searching for the event in the catalog.
I’m using the SOA’s mobile meeting app at one of SOA’s major events (such as the SOA Annual Meeting). Can I add activities to the SOA CPD Tracker right from the mobile meeting app?
Yes, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the session detail page in the mobile meeting app.
- Scroll to the link labeled “Add to SOA CPD Tracker” and follow the screen prompts.