Support and Opportunities for Academic and Student Research
The Society of Actuaries (SOA) provides support for academic and student research. Following are opportunities for colleges and universities for SOA research resources.
- The Annual Individual Research Grants Competition sponsored by the SOA’s Committee on Knowledge Extension Research and the Casualty Actuarial Society. Academics can submit research project ideas that have the potential to contribute significantly to the advancement of knowledge in actuarial science for funding consideration. Look for information about the 2022 Individual Research Grants Competition to be released by end of summer 2021.
- Annual Student Research Case Study Challenge provides an opportunity for teams of students to apply their actuarial skills on a real world problem and compete for prizes. Results of the 2021 competition are now available. Look for information on the 2022 competition by November 2021.
- The CAE Research Grants Program furthered the development of student and academic actuarial research and intellectual capital. The program is closed to new applicants.
- Other Competitions and Grants may be initiated at any time during the year.
- Periodic Call for Essays are posted for papers on a variety of topics including highlighting practical applications of NAAJ research papers. Calls for Essays are open to all individuals knowledgeable in the subject matter. Prize money may be associated with essays that the SOA has selected for publication.
- Periodic Requests for Research Proposals for funding consideration are posted on a variety of topics and helps promotes academic and actuarial practitioner research collaboration. Calls for research proposals are open to all individuals knowledgeable in the subject matter.
- Volunteer Opportunities connecting actuarial students and academics to SOA research and its research committees. Examples are serving on research project oversight groups and supporting SOA experience studies.
If academics or students have ideas for research benefiting the actuarial profession that you think the SOA would be interested in funding, please submit them to email@example.com.