Multiemployer Pension Plan System Overview
The SOA is pleased to make available a report that collects various SOA analyses authored by staff actuaries on the Multiemployer Pension Plan (MEPP) system in the United States:
- Previous Benefit Cost (PBC) and Previous Benefit Cost Ratio (PBCR)—metrics for measuring the financial stress imposed on multiemployer pension plans (MEPPs) by the combination of unfunded liabilities and declining numbers of active participants
- Contribution Indices—analysis of the progress that MEPP contributions make toward paying down unfunded liabilities
- Withdrawal Overview—summary of the frequency and impact of employer withdrawals from MEPPs
These studies are based on Department of Labor Form 5500 data. To access the full report, click on the links below. If you have any questions about them, please contact Lisa Schilling at email@example.com.
The SOA and authors extend special thanks to the individuals who volunteered their time and expertise to support the development of these reports, including the following actuaries. These articles do not necessarily reflect their views, nor the views of their employers.
- Christian E. Benjaminson, FSA, EA, FCA, MAAA
- Bruce Cadenhead, FSA, EA, FCA, MAAA
- James B. Dexter, FSA, EA, FCA, MAAA
- Paul B. Dunlap, FSA, EA, FCA, MAAA
- Eric A. Keener, FSA, EA, FCA, MAAA
- Lawrence I. Pollack, FSA, EA, MAAA
- Josh A. Shapiro, FSA, EA, MAAA
- R. Dale Hall, FSA, CERA, CFA, MAAA, SOA Managing Director of Research
- Andrew Peterson, FSA, EA, FCA, MAAA, SOA Senior Staff Fellow, Retirement Systems