14th Speculative Fiction Contest
“Imagination … its limits are only those of the mind itself.”—Rod Serling
Enter the 14th Actuarial Speculative Fiction contest, proudly sponsored again this year by the Society of Actuaries’ Technology, Predictive Analytics and Futurism, and Actuary of the Future Sections; three of the sections that help us prepare for our actuarial future.
Stories should be no more than 6,000 words and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 28, 2021.
- US$400: First Place
- US$300: Second Place
- US$150: Most unique use of technology
- US$150: Most creative actuarial career of the future
- US$150: Best use of futurism methods
The following additional category winners will receive a specially designed Speculative Fiction Zoom background and an SOA branded gift.
- Readers’ favorite
- Best first-time entry
- Best company participation
- Contest Coordinators’ favorite
- Best connection to the theme, which is an old TV series narrated by Rod Serling where the actors had just stepped into …
- The story must include some sort of actuarial topic.
- The author must have passed at least one actuarial exam.
- The story should be less than 6,000 words.
- Submissions must be in English but may include intuitively translatable phrases in Klingon or whatever language fits your story.
- Stories may be submitted in either Microsoft Word, PDF format, or shared Google Docs.
- When emailing the story, the email must include the entrant’s name, phone number, email address, and the names and contact information for the co-authors, if applicable.
- By submitting a story, you are agreeing to provide the SOA with the right to publish your story, in accordance with section 7(b) in the Official Rules.
First and second place will be chosen by Dr. Bob Mielke, Professor of English at Truman State University. He will also provide comments on all stories with additional remarks by your contest organizers, Gary Lange and Tracy Kirkman. Awards presented by each section will be chosen by that section council, so understand the goals of each section.
The contest begins Oct. 1 and ends Feb. 28, 2021. Winners will be announced on May 1, 2021. Submit all entries to email@example.com. Each entry will be published online at the Society of Actuaries’ website. Please read the official rules before entering.