Register and Schedule an Appointment for Computer Based Exams (CBT)
Computer Based Testing is a 2-Step Process
Step 1 – Register with SOA
Register for the exam with the Society of Actuaries by the published deadline. (Registration closes at midnight U.S. Central Time.)
Online registration is the preferred registration method. It is critical that the name you use for registration matches your first and last name on your valid government issued photo ID. Do not change the spelling. Discrepancies in names may prevent you from testing.
Step 2 – Schedule your appointment with
After your registration has been processed with the SOA, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement letter by email that includes your unique candidate/eligibility number for this administration. The candidate/eligibility number is NOT activated immediately. Once the number
has been activated, the SOA will email you a Letter of Confirmation. At that time, you should schedule your exam center appointment with Prometric IMMEDIATELY.
NOTE: Make an appointment early! Candidates who do not make an appointment at a CBT Prometric center upon receiving their confirmation letter may find their local CBT center is filled on the days when the exam is offered. The latest a candidate can schedule a CBT appointment is 48 hours prior to the start time
of the exam on the final day of the testing window. No appointments will be made after that time. No corrections can be made once the 48-hour window has passed.
If you do not receive your letter of confirmation within 10 days of receiving your receipt/acknowledgement letter, please check your “bulk mail” or “junk mail” email folder before contacting
SOA Customer Service at +1-888-697-3900.
CBT Language Options –
Please select carefully.
- English is the only language option outside of Canada.
- Candidates taking their exam in Canada will have the bilingual options of English or French language.
If English is selected the entire testing experience is in the English language.
*If French is selected, the candidate sees a split screen (English on the left‐hand side/French on the right‐hand side). The Tutorial and the Final Score Report are entirely in French. The examination portion is completely in English with the navigation ability to select
a French translation of the exam question by clicking on a button titled French.
The PA Exam, when you access the problem statement, the statement will be in English. There will be a button on the screen to view the same statement in French.
These bilingual versions are only offered in Canada.
Schedule Online with Prometric (Preferred Choice)
- After receiving your confirmation, you may schedule your test appointment by going to:
- Select “Schedule My Test”
The specific exam name is listed below:
For Exam P
- Probability English: U.S., Canada, Intl
- Probability French: Canada*
For Exam FM
- Financial Mathematics English: U.S., Canada, Intl
- Financial Mathematics French: Canada*
For Exam IFM
- Investment and Financial Markets English: U.S., Canada, Intl
- Investment and Financial Markets French: Canada*
For Exam SRM
- Statistics for Risk Modeling English: U.S., Canada, Intl
- Statistics for Risk Modeling French: Canada*
For Exam STAM
- Short-Term Actuarial Mathematics English: U.S., Canada, Intl
- Short-Term Actuarial Mathematics French: Canada*
For Exam GIINT
- Introduction to General Insurance Exam English: U.S., Canada, Intl
- Introduction to General Insurance Exam French: Canada*
For Exam PA
- Predictive Analytics English: U.S., Canada, Intl
- Predictive Analytics French: Canada*
Schedule by Telephone
After receiving your confirmation, you may schedule your test appointments by calling Prometric's Candidate Services
Contact Center. You must reference the "SOA/CIA" exam. More information can also be found by going to
C.B.T. Exam Candidates Needing Testing Accommodations
Only candidates who have already received approval for testing accommodations from the SOA Office may schedule an appointment with Prometric that includes testing accommodations. Please contact
Testing Accommodations or visit the
Testing Accommodations home page for further information.