The Society of Actuaries (SOA) is committed to complying with the American Disabilities Act (ADA) when it comes to giving equal access to our exams and certification tests for people with documented disabilities and/or special needs. The SOA offers accommodations to alleviate the impact of the candidate's ability on the testing process, as long as it doesn't alter the nature of the exam (and other stipulations). See below for a basic idea of how the process works, but please read the entire Testing Accommodation Overview for a complete explanation. You'll also find forms, instructions for applying for accommodations and other procedures in the links at the bottom of this page.
The basics of determining accommodations:
- The SOA defines a "disability" as an impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities that limit their ability to take our examinations under standard terms and conditions.
- Decisions with respect to these accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis based on the submitted documentation.
- The documents must establish the candidate's limitations and provide a rationale and an objective basis for why the requested accommodation is necessary.
- If a candidate has previously received accommodations, they should acknowledge it on their current application, as well as include official SOA documentation of that accommodation with their current request.
- Approval is dependent on a number of factors, which are explained in the Testing Accommodation Overview.
- The SOA strongly encourages candidates requesting an accommodation to do so well in advance of the registration deadline for the examination. In certain circumstances, the SOA may request clarification of the information or documentation submitted, and/or require supplemental documentation or information. All such supplemental information and/or documentation must be received by the SOA prior to the registration deadline for the examination. Submitting the Request for Accommodation Form and supporting documentation well in advance of the registration deadline will provide the candidate an opportunity to respond to any such requests and still receive timely notification of the SOA’s determination prior to the actual examination.