Advanced Topics in Corporate Finance and ERM Module
Welcome to the Advanced Topics in Corporate Finance and ERM Module home page! Please review all of the information and links provided below.
Advanced topics in CFE can include a broad range of concepts, which vary in their degree of complexity. This module covers three concepts which can be directly applied within a company's ERM framework. Three applications of Extreme Value Theory (EVT) are covered to put the theory to work in a business context. The candidate will learn about the factors that affect strategic thinking (external forces, environmental analysis), the organizational characteristics that influence strategic decision-making (strategy, structure, controls, leadership) and how senior management uses these to evaluate and benchmark progress toward strategic goals. The module leads a candidate through a 10-year strategic planning exercise while applying opportunity engineering (OE) concepts to help senior management make strategic decisions regarding a new product they would like to introduce to the market.
By the end of the module, we expect that the candidates will be able to:
- Explain the limitations of EVT
- Estimate Parameters for an EVT model
- Apply and evaluate EVT in the use with operational risk
- Understanding what is meant by strategic thinking
- Determine strategic questions and evaluate scenarios
- Analyze financial statements and evaluate the impact on a strategic plan
- Interpret the results of environmental scanning and assess the opportunities
- Develop a 10-year strategic plan
- Evaluate when the strategic plan needs to be revised
Learn more about changes coming to this track.
Recognized by the Canadian Institute of Actuaries.