Associateship Professionalism Course (APC)
The Associateship Professionalism Course (APC) is the final requirement for the ASA designation and CERA credential. The APC covers professionalism, ethics and legal liability and makes extensive use of the case study method.
The SOA Board of Directors has approved the Canadian Institute of Actuaries' (CIA) Professionalism Course as a substitute for the APC. Therefore, Canadian candidates who attend the CIA course are not required take the SOA course. The CIA provides our Registrar with passing candidate data. For more information regarding the CIA course, please visit CIA-ICA.ca under calendar of meetings.
Participation in a remote APC is by invitation only.
Prior to sending out invitations for the next available APC, we run a list of those candidates who are eligible to attend. We have created an equitable model to invite candidates to participate in upcoming APCs. It is based on a priority order that takes into account the ASA requirements they have completed, and when those requirements were completed.
You will be invited to register for an APC after you have completed all other ASA requirements, as space allows. Candidates with only one remaining requirement may be invited to register if space is available.
Note that the remote APC sessions each month includes up to 2 to 3 times the number of candidates that would typically attend an in-person APC.
Upcoming APC Cohorts
- Registration opens/Invitations Sent: Fri, July 23 (A 2nd round of invitations will be sent after the FA grade release if there are still spaces available for this cohort)
- Deadline to register: Tues, Aug 17
- e-Learning module available: Thurs, Aug 26
- Deadline to register for virtual session: Mon, Sept 6
- e-Learning module test completion deadline: Thurs, Sept 9
- Virtual sessions scheduled: Sept 13-24
- APC credit effective date: Sept 24
- e-Learning closes: Sept 26
- Registration opens/Invitations Sent: Mon, Sept 13
- Deadline to register: Tues, Oct 5
- e-Learning module available: Thurs, Oct 14
- Deadline to register for virtual session: Mon, Oct 25
- e-Learning module test completion deadline: Thurs, Oct 28
- Virtual sessions scheduled: Nov 1-12
- APC credit effective date: Nov 12
- e-Learning closes: Nov 14
The Registration fee for the course is USD 625.00
Remote Learning Sessions – What to Expect
The SOA offers the APC by remote learning to candidates around the world. Each remote APC runs over a month-long timeframe and includes two components – an online e-Learning component and a virtual meeting session component. Here is what to expect in the remote learning APC:
Component #1 – Candidates are given access to an online e-Learning module that they complete on their own (estimated 3-4 hours).
- The module covers the Code of Professional Conduct, Standards of Practice, ethics and legal liability.
- Candidates have approximately 14 days to complete the online module.
Component #2 – Following completion of the module, candidates participate in a virtual case discussion where small groups of candidates and one facilitator meet via a virtual meeting platform (estimated 2-3 hours in length).
- Virtual sessions include discussion of ethics case studies.
- Candidates select a virtual session once access is opened for the module. Virtual session scheduling options span a two-week period.
All candidates scheduled for a particular APC one-month cohort receive credit for APC on the same day, at the end of the last week of the virtual sessions.
Candidates should sign-in to their virtual session 10-15 minutes prior to the session start time. Participants who are absent for more than 10 minutes will be required to repeat the entire course.
What is the Case Study Method?
The case study method is different from other types of teaching approaches in that it is based on actual business situations. After reading a case, participants are asked to participate in a discussion in order to analyze the situation and make recommendations for its solution.
Business casual attire is appropriate for the virtual sessions.
All enrollment cancellations must be made in writing. Please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to obtain a refund of the registration fee, minus a cancellation fee of USD 150.00.
The Society of Actuaries has the right to cancel any of the APC sessions if conditions warrant. In the event of such cancellation, registration fees will be refunded. The Society of Actuaries will not be held liable for any cancellation fees assessed attendees.
APC inquiries may be directed to email@example.com