2021 Student Research Case Study Challenge
The Society of Actuaries (SOA) is dedicated to advancing education and research for the actuarial profession. As part of its mission, the SOA recognizes the importance of partnering with colleges and universities to help develop future actuaries. With this in mind, the SOA’s Research Department is holding a Student Research Case Study Challenge, which provides an opportunity for teams of students to apply their actuarial skills on a real-world problem. Read the details of Case Study Challenge which focuses on developing a parametric insurance product.
SOA Announces Recipients of 2021 Student Research Case Study Challenge
The Society of Actuaries (SOA) announces the recipients of the 2021 Student Research Case Study Challenge:
- First place: Indiana University with a $5,000 grant. (Winning Submission)
- Second Place: Nanyang Technological University with a $3,000 grant. (Winning Submission)
- Third place: Arizona State University with a $2,000 grant. (Winning Submission)
Other finalists, in alphabetical order by university, are:
- The University of Hong Kong (Winning Submission)
- University of Indonesia (Winning Submission)
- Lisbon School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon (Winning Submission)
Semi-finalists, in alphabetical order, are:
- Ball State University
- California State University, Fullerton
- Renmin University of China (Entry 1)
- Renmin University of China (Entry 2)
- Seoul National University
- Shenzhen University
- Southwestern University of Finance and Economics
- Towson University (Entry 1)
- Towson University (Entry 2)
- UCSI University
- University of Florida
About The Student Research Case Study Challenge
Over the course of eight weeks, teams of up to five students will research a case study situation, conduct actuarial analysis, formulate solutions, and present recommendations. The work will require a team approach to identify issues and organize priorities. The team will need to understand and select from potential data sources, develop models with appropriate accuracy metrics, summarize relevant results, and then present recommendations in a written format. Teams are encouraged to seek guidance from a faculty advisor to assist them in their overall approach. Teams can look forward to showcasing their creativity while building synergies within an actuarial setting.
Submissions will be graded by the judges, and the teams with the top submissions will be invited to present their submissions to the judges via audio and/or video conference, with the target being to have these presentations April 5–9, 2021. All teams meeting a minimum standard will be recognized in official SOA publications and team members will be awarded a certificate of participation.
2021 Student Research Case Study Challenge Podcast
Previous Student Research Case Study Challenges
Get Your Organization In Front Of The Students
Have your organization sponsor the Student Case Study Challenge and be connected with the student participants. Review the sponsor brochure to get more information.
Questions and Comments
If you have any comments or questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.