Individual Life - Mortality Experience Studies
The SOA offers experience studies and table reports on individual life, with a focus on mortality, for use by actuaries. Studies often contain many files for download, including multiple ZIP files, PDFs and Excel files. Table reports are often accompanied by Excel workbooks with complimentary materials.
Valuation reports, such as the 2015 VBT, can be found here.
- 2020 U.S. Individual Life COVID-19 Mortality Research
LIMRA, RGA Reinsurance, the Society of Actuaries and TAI have collaborated on an effort to analyze the impact of COVID-19 on the individual life insurance industry’s mortality experience. The collection of data for this effort began in October 2020 and is on-going. Data contributors were requested to resubmit their data on a monthly basis to enable the Individual Life COVID-19 Project Work to analyze the most recent data available. This report contains the first release of results and is an effort to provide some early insights into the data that has been received to date.
- Canadian Report on the Lapse and Mortality Experience of Post-Level Premium Period Term Plans
The Canadian Institute of Actuaries (CIA) and the Society of Actuaries (SOA) engaged RGA Reinsurance Company (RGA) to undertake a research project on Canadian level premium term life insurance products with a particular focus on the magnitude and impact of the “shock lapse” at the end of the level premium period.
- Canadian Report on the Survey of Post-Level Premium Period Lapse and Mortality Assumptions for Level Premium Term Plans
The Canadian Institute of Actuaries (CIA) and Society of Actuaries (SOA) engaged RGA Reinsurance Company (RGA) to undertake a research project on level premium term life insurance products with a particular focus on the magnitude and impact of the “shock lapse” at the end of the level premium period. This project is similar to the SOA-sponsored research completed by RGA in 2014 for USA business.
- 2009 - 2015 High Face Amount Experience Report
This report present the results of a review of the mortality experience for policies with face amounts of $1 million or higher.
- 2009-2015 Individual Life Insurance Mortality Experience Report
The Individual Life Experience Committee has completed their latest report on intercompany mortality experience by amount of insurance under standard individually underwritten issues. This includes study years 2009-2015.
- Emerging Underwriting Methodologies and their Impact on Mortality Experience Delphi Study
This report presents the results of a Delphi study investigating emerging accelerated underwriting methodologies their impact on mortality experience.
- Beyond Actual to Table: Models in Experience Studies
This report demonstrates an approach to addressing the distortions caused by heterogeneous segments in Actual to Table analyses.
- 2009-2013 Individual Life Insurance Mortality Experience Report
The Individual Life Experience Committee has completed their latest report on intercompany mortality experience by amount of insurance under standard individually underwritten issues. This includes study years 2009-2013.
- 2003 to 2013 Individual Life Mortality Experience Presentations
Several presentations that contain analyses on the SOA’s Individual Life Experience Committee’s 2003 to 2013 Individual Life Mortality Experience Data.
- 2015 Preneed Mortality Study
- 2017 Guaranteed Issue Mortality Tables
- Younger Issue Age Mortality Analysis
- Preferred Class Structure Report – Part 2
- Older Age Analysis Report
- Preferred Class Structure Report
- Lapse and Mortality Experience of Post-Level Premium Period Term Plans
- 2005-07 Individual Life Experience Report
- 2002-04 Individual Life Experience Report
- Report on Mortality Improvement Scales for Canadian Insured Lives
- Alcohol Abuse and Liver Enzymes (AALE): Results of an Intercompany Study of Mortality International Experience Study
- 1995-2000 Individual Life Experience Report
- 1991-95 Individual Life Experience Studies Report & Tables
- 1990-95 Basic Select and Ultimate Mortality Tables for Individual Life Insurances
- 1990-91 Individual Life Report