SOA Diversity Report
The Society of Actuaries (SOA) believes that having a diverse workforce improves performance and decision-making and makes the profession stronger. In June 2020, our Board of Directors launched a new Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) strategic initiative and integrated it into our Long-Term Growth Strategy - SOAe Exponential Opportunities. Both of these actions support our efforts to increase diversity in membership and in the actuarial profession.
The SOA launched an effort to have members and candidates update their profiles and provide demographic data (race, ethnicity, sex and other categories). With this information, we built our member and new entrant to the examination pathway infographic.
This diversity report provides us with a base to help set goals and establish accountability for our DEI initiatives. It will also allow us to maintain transparency of the diversity status.
The SOA Diversity demographic data on this page provides an overview of:
- Overall membership as of December 2020 for both the United States and worldwide;
- New members between 2010-2020 in the United States;
- New entrants to the examination pathway for 2020 in the United States;
- Volunteer and leadership participation for 2020 worldwide; and
- Comparison Benchmark Data: United States populations age 25 and up, insurance industry employees, and STEM bachelor's degrees.
Download the SOA Diversity Data Report