Finance Research Reports
If you’re looking for research projects and reports on finance, you’ve come to the right place. The SOA offers research, authored by an individual or a team of authors, for download in just a few clicks.
- A Low-Growth World: Implications for the Insurance Industry and Pension Plans
The Society of Actuaries is pleased to make available a research report that introduces actuaries and risk managers in the insurance and pension industries to current literature discussing growth rates in the past and future expectations.
- Investment Year Method: Aligning Renewal Credited Rates with Investment Strategy
The Society of Actuaries Committee on Finance Research is pleased to make available a research report that explores investment year methodology to set renewal credited rates.
- Liability-Driven Investment – Benchmark Model
The Society of Actuaries’ Retirement Section Research Committee and Committee on Finance Research are pleased to make available research material that developed a Liability-Driven Investment (LDI) benchmark framework.
- Actuarial Utility and Preference Functions
The Society of Actuaries is pleased to make available a research report that introduces the concept of a preference function, which is a generalization of the utility function.
- Yield Curve Extrapolation Methods: Methodologies for Valuing Liability Cash Flow that Extend Beyond the Maximum
The Society of Actuaries Committee on Finance Research is pleased to make available a research report that summarizes methodologies used for yield curve extrapolation to value liability cash flows that extend beyond the maximum observable portion of the yield curve.
- The Potential Effect of Brexit on the U.S. Insurance Industry: Analyzing the U.K.’s Exit from the European Union
The Society of Actuaries Committee on Finance Research is pleased to make available a research report that models the impact on the U.S. insurance market resulting from a post-Brexit economy in the UK.
- Reinvestment Strategies for Life Insurance Products in a Changing Economic Environment
The Society of Actuaries Committee on Finance Research is pleased to make available a research report that addresses how to model different reinvestment strategies to determine those that maximize results in different economic conditions.
- Population Aging, Implications for Asset Values, and Impact for Pension Plans: An International Study
The Society of Actuaries is pleased to make available preliminary material for a research project investigating Population Aging and its impact on pension plans.
- Letting Insurance Asset Data Speak for Itself – Asset Allocations of Life Insurers in Asia
The Society of Actuaries Committee on Finance Research is pleased to make available a research report that describes trends in asset allocation of major life insurers across eight Asian markets (China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand).
- Actuarial Review of Insurer Insolvencies, Future Preventions
Sponsored by the Canadian Institute of Actuaries (CIA), Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS), and Society of Actuaries (SOA), this study looks at causes of insolvency and decisions made by management, regulators, and policyholders over the life cycle of the insolvency. This study is intended to educate insurance professionals on historical insurer impairments and insolvencies and possible future prevention indicators.
- The Financial Impact of Student Debt on Working and Retired Americans
The Society of Actuaries’ Pension Section is pleased to make available a research report addressing the potential consequences of accumulating education debt for retirement security.
- Hidden Markov Model for Portfolio Management with Mortgage-Backed Securities Exchange-Traded Fund
This report provides a primer on the mechanics and uses of the Hidden Markov Model (HMM) for actuarial and financial applications and also includes development of a new application for the HMM to mortgage-backed securities exchange-traded funds.
- Economic Capital for Life Insurance Companies
- Economic Scenario Generators – A Practical Guide
- Investigating the Link between Population Aging and Deflation
- Life Insurance Regulatory Structures and Strategy: EU Compared to US
- Predictive Modeling: A Modeler’s Introspection – A Paper Describing How to Model and How to Think Like a Modeler
- Future Equity Patterns and Baby Boomer Retirements
- Lapse Modeling for the Post-Level Period – A Practical Application of Predictive Modeling
- Pension Risk Transfer – Evaluating Impact and Barriers for De-Risking Strategies
- Cash-Flow Risk Management in the Insurance Industry: A Dynamic Factor Modeling Approach
- Comparative Failure Experience in the U.S. and Canadian Life Insurance and Banking Industries from 1980 to 2010
- Value Investing and Enterprise Risk Management: Two Sides of the Same Coin
- A Survey of Actuarial Modeling Controls in the Context of a Model-Based Valuation Framework
- Credit Risk Modeling Techniques For Life Insurers
- Survey on Market Risk
- Optimal Distribution Rules for Defined Contribution Plans: What Can the United States and Australia Learn from Other Countries?
- Will Retirement of Canadian Baby Boomers Deflate Asset Values?
- The Effect of Deflation or High Inflation on the Insurance Industry
- U.S. Insurance Company Investment Strategies in an Economic Downturn
- Interest Rate Hedging on Traditional Life and Health
- Survey on Pension Risk Management and Impact of Funding Gap
- Results of the Survey on Variable Annuity Hedging Programs for Life Insurance Companies
- Delphi Study of Economic Variables Report
- The Impact of Investment Advice Regulations on Personal Actuaries
- Retirement Planning Software Report
- Cash Flow Testing Software Survey
- Dynamic Financial Models of Life Insurers
- IntraCompany Capital Allocation Papers
- Life Insurance Companies Investing in High–Yield Bonds
- Marketing Research: Actuaries Serving Individuals
- Risk Position Reporting
- The Viatical and Life Settlement Industry: New Perspectives for Actuaries