International Research Reports
If you’re looking for research projects and reports on international topics, you’ve come to the right place. The SOA offers research, authored by an individual or a team of authors, for download in just a few clicks.
- Canadian Report on the Survey of Post-Level Premium Period Lapse and Mortality Assumptions for Level Premium Term Plans
The Canadian Institute of Actuaries (CIA) and Society of Actuaries (SOA) engaged RGA Reinsurance Company (RGA) to undertake a research project on level premium term life insurance products with a particular focus on the magnitude and impact of the “shock lapse” at the end of the level premium period. This project is similar to the SOA-sponsored research completed by RGA in 2014 for USA business.
- Spotlight on Retirement: Latin America
The Society of Actuaries (SOA) and LIMRA jointly commissioned this research in Latin America to study current and future retirement market opportunities. In the twenty-first century, Latin America has undergone a significant and rapid demographic shift towards an aging population.
- Modeling and Forecasting Cause-of-Death Mortality
The Product Development Section, the Financial Reporting Section, the Modeling Section and the Committee on Life Insurance Research are pleased to present new research on modeling and forecasting cause-of-death mortality.
- Aging in Singapore, Implications for Long-Term Care Financing
Today, Singapore is one of the fastest aging populations in the world. With life expectancy currently in excess of 80 years and continuing to increase in the face of declining fertility rates, the percentage of citizens aged 65+ is estimated to double from 12.4% in 2014 to 24.0% in 2030, rising to more than 30% in 2050. This study addresses the impact of Singapore’s aging population on long-term care financing.
- The Use of Big Data and Data Analytics to Enhance Insurer Operations in Asia-Pacific
There are various technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI), blockchain, cloud computing and the internet that are playing a key role in the development of big data and data analytics. These technologies are expected to become increasingly important in shaping the future of insurance by helping insurance companies build and implement successful applications, taking some of the oldest industries in the world, such as banking and insurance, into the 21st century.
- Constructing Occupation‐Specific Life Tables for China
This report documents the “Constructing Occupation-Specific Life Tables for China” project commissioned by the Society of Actuaries under the “China Research Topics” proposal. The purpose of the project is to construct the most up-to-date occupational life tables for male and female urban employees in China based on administrative data from the Beijing Public Pension System for the period 2005–2009.
- Pension Investment and Withdrawal: What Concerns are Influencing Participant Preferences?
This project aims to understand pension participants’ investment and withdrawal behaviors and provide guidance in pension plan design, using data from China. We carried out a survey of employees' preferences on occupational pension investment and withdrawal in China.
- Modeling and Forecasting Chinese Population Dynamics in a Multi-Population Context
The purpose of this project is to forecast China's population structure in the coming decades by projecting both the mortality and fertility rates of the Chinese population. In particular, we forecast China's future mortality rates in a multiple-population context, by explicitly allowing its systematic mortality patterns to gradually converge to those of a group of more developed countries with higher life expectancy levels and better data quality.
- Trends in the Chinese Annuity Market and the Management of Longevity Risk
China’s pension system has transformed from traditional retirement system based on command economy to modern pension system based on market economy, which basically guarantees the living standards of retirees.
- The Development of WeChat Marketing and Distribution of Insurance Products in China
WeChat is gradually becoming the main force of insurance online marketing for insurance products in China. With the popularization of WeChat communication technology, more and more insurance companies have started to use the WeChat platform.
- Canadian Segregated Funds Product Experience Study
The Society of Actuaries, LIMRA, and the Canadian Institute of Actuaries jointly conducted a study examining both mortality and policyholder behavior experience for Canadian segregated funds products.
- Spotlight On Retirement, Summary Report
The Society of Actuaries (SOA) and LIMRA jointly commissioned an Asia-wide research project to study the current state and future opportunity of the retirement market in Asia.
- Letting Insurance Asset Data Speak for Itself – Asset Allocations of Life Insurers in Asia
The Society of Actuaries Committee on Finance Research is pleased to make available a research report that describes trends in asset allocation of major life insurers across eight Asian markets (China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand).
- Population Aging, Implications for Asset Values, and Impact for Pension Plans: An International Study
The Society of Actuaries is pleased to make available preliminary material for a research project investigating Population Aging and its impact on pension plans.
- Funding Public Health Insurance Plans Canada and Globally
- Sustainability of the Canadian Health Care System and Impact of the 2014 Revision to the Canada Health Transfer
- Comparative Failure Experience in the U.S. and Canadian Life Insurance and Banking Industries from 1980 to 2010
- Will Retirement of Canadian Baby Boomers Deflate Asset Values?
- Optimal Distribution Rules for Defined Contribution Plans: What Can the United States and Australia Learn from Other Countries?