Actuary of the Future Section - Projects and Activities
The following are the initiatives for 2011 determined by the Actuary of the Future based on the strategic themes set out by the SOA
- Perform a Delphi study to help actuaries break from the stereotypically quant role to other roles that make better use of our skill sets in a world where calculation skills are moving towards more of a commodity item than a distinctive niche.
- Contribute to event and session planning for SOA meetings including the Health Spring Meeting, the Life and Annuity Symposium, the Valuation Actuary Symposium (ValAct), and the Annual Meeting.
- Produce bi-annual newsletters capturing the most interesting, up-to-date and relevant topics about the changes and trends in the actuarial profession.
- Keep the Actuary of the Future membership up-to-date on latest happenings through the Actuary of the Future website.
- Sponsor at least two webcasts on topics of relevance and interest to our membership.
- Develop Podcasts as a learning tool to quickly and cheaply transfer information. These web-based, downloadable videos will allow member to learn about various subtopics on their own time, at their own pace. By using this technology, the Actuary of the Future is hoping to reach out to a wider audience than is currently being served by using traditional webcasts and SOA meetings only.
- Expand our database of non-traditional actuaries by identifying and speaking with actuaries in the non-traditional arena in order to capture their stories. We plan to share these stories in future newsletters.
- Monitor actuarial employment trends and identify non-traditional opportunities for actuaries.
- Develop a Section Council Intern (SCI) position to get the pre-ASA/student perspective.
Develop and Promote Professional Networks
- Grow membership and increase the volunteer pool. The Actuary of the Future relies on volunteers. If you're interested in volunteering, please fill out the volunteer form or contact a section council member. If you're interested in joining our section, more information on the benefits of joining can be found under the Prospective Members section of our website.
- Collaborate with local actuarial clubs and universities/colleges in the U.S. and Canada.
- Support the activities of the Younger Actuary Network (mentoring program, webcasts, networking events, and more!)
- Support the Speculative Fiction Contest.
If you'd like additional information on any of the above items, please contact the appropriate section council members assigned to these initiatives. They can be found here .
If there is something specific that you think would be relevant to our members for posting on the site, please contact Jane Lesch at email@example.com .